Saturday, January 23, 2016

Ketosis and Cancer

Is cancer a metabolic disease?  This is my latest target of research since this theory was why I was encouraged to start the Ketogenic Diet in the first place. The genetic theory of cancer is fading and the opinion that cancer is the effect of impaired mitochondrial function and energy metabolism has been gaining traction.  The best read on this is "Cancer as a Metabolic Disease: On the Origin, Management, and Prevention of Cancer".  Since I don't have the medical bandwidth or time, I have thusfar relied on other articles (see below) for a quicker synopsis.  The author does speak positively to Ketogenic diet for cancer and other health crisis'. Enter my eating habits since November.

What I am learning today is perfectly timed since I've been looking for more precise info on KD and cancer.  Progress...it seems I should be doing the KETO diet without all of the cheesy recipes that you find on most Keto blogs and is typically allowed on the diet.  After further clarification, raw and cultured butter/dairy is good, however most processed cheeses and dairy are a 'no-go" for the metabolic treatment of this disease.  So these (pictured-nope. I am not a foodies photographer) mozzerella laden yummy keto breadsticks will not be a staple for me <sigh> something I know my boys will be very happy to hear:)  They really do not taste GF, but then again why would they, they are delishously half mozzerella!

From what I just heard via the Mercola/D'Agnosino YouTube interview, the 14-day bone broth fast I did was the recommended as the fastest way to get into nutritonal ketosis. Check. Another tip I got was to check out Elaine Cantin's website.  She chose to treat her breast cancer from the inside out with diet as a staple, and likely has some great tips on non-dairy keto ideas.

All done for now.  The window is closing (did I mention I am doing intermittent fasting?). Time to get in some good fats.

*Interestingly enough Ketogenic diets also have been shown to help many other diseases and conditions including seizures, autism, type I & II diabetes, heart disease, nuerological disorders among others.  Check out this site for more info.

Medical studies and articles:
Ketogenic Diet and Hyperbaric Oxygen? An additive effect together with HBOT 3x weeks.
Cancer as a Metabolic Disease